Y5 – What Are We Learning
In Literacy, we will be focusing on recounts, such as newspaper reports and diary entries. We will also be studying Greek Myths and Legends, with a particular emphasis upon story writing and character descriptions. Our class text this term will be ‘Perseus’, and we will use this to develop our reading comprehension skills. In addition to this, a guided read will take place each week. We will also continue to develop our knowledge and understanding of grammar and punctuation throughout our weekly sessions.
This half term, we will continue to develop our understanding of addition, subtraction, division and multiplication. We will also be focusing on using and applying mathematics, linked to our weekly problem solving sessions. In addition to our number focus work, we will also be developing our data handling skills, and understanding of fractions (converting and ordering).
‘My Maths’ homework will be given out every Friday.
In addition to this, a weekly times table test will take place every Friday morning. Please practise these skills with your child at home, including the division facts.
Our IPC this topic this term is ‘The Great, the Bold and the Brave”
In History, we’ll be finding out:
- Finding out about the Greek city-states of Athens and Sparta
- Exploring the political systems in Athens and Sparta
- Finding out about the Persian Wars and their impact on Greece
- Learning about Athenian life by studying the Parthenon
- Finding out about the origins of the Olympic Games
- Planning and performing our own Greek play
- Finding out about Alexander the Great
- Discovering why Rome had a republic and then an emperor
- Finding out about daily life in Ancient Rome
- Exploring the impact of Roman invasion on another country
- Understanding the cause and effect of the fall of the Roman Empire
- Learning about people and culture through archaeological evidence
- Performing a case-study of Britain, from Roman occupation to the Norman Conquest
In Music, we’ll be finding out:
- Learning about the role of the Greek chorus and writing our own songs
In Art, we’ll be finding out:
- Finding out about Ancient Greek and Roman art
- Creating our own piece of art in a Greek or Roman style
In International, we’ll be finding out:
- Finding out about the effects of invasion on countries around the world
In Science, we will be studying and raising questions about our local environment. We will observe life-cycle changes in a variety of living things, for example, plants in the vegetable garden or flower border, and animals in the local environment. We will find out about the work of naturalists and animal behaviourists, for example, David Attenborough.
In SEAL, we will be developing our knowledge and understanding of drugs. We will be focusing on:
*The structure of the human body
*About the functions of the major internal and external parts of the human body.
*About the effects of different drugs and how these might change the way we feel and behave.
*Specific drugs and the effects of taking these.
*About the different views people have towards drugs
We are focusing on our athletic skills this half term. We will be practising our javelin, shot put and long jump. This term, PE will take place outdoors, therefore please ensure your child has appropriate footwear.