Y5 – What Are We Learning
In Literacy we will be focusing on texts, which contain a river themed setting, to link in with our IPC unit, ‘Go with the flow.’ The books we will be focusing on are ‘Kenzuke’s Kingdom’ and ‘Journey to the River Sea’. In writing, we will be covering information texts and poetry. The children will also be provided with the opportunity to construct their own desert island, which they will then create persuasive advertisements and letters for. We will also continue to develop our knowledge and understanding of Grammar and Punctuation throughout our weekly sessions.
This half term we will continue to develop our understanding of addition, subtraction, division and multiplication. We will also be focusing on using and applying mathematics, linked to our weekly problem solving sessions. In addition to our number focus work, we will also be developing our Data Handling skills, and understanding of Fractions (converting and ordering).
‘My Maths’ Homework will be given out every Friday.
In addition to this, a weekly times table test will be taking place every Friday morning. Please practice these with your child at home with the inclusion of the division facts.
In Geography, we’ll be finding out:
- How the shape of a river is always changing
- How it changes the land through which it flows
- What happens when it floods
- What uses people make of rivers
In Science, we’ll be finding out:
- Where water comes from
- How to grow a stalactite
- How to clean water
- How water can be used to make power
- How rivers provide habitats for wildlife
In Technology, we’ll be finding out:
- How bridges are built and then putting what we have learned into practice with ‘the great bridge-building challenge’
In History, we’ll be finding out:
- About the importance of the River Nile in every aspect of life in Ancient Egypt
In Society and International, we’ll be finding out:
- That rivers still have an importance in the everyday life of people across the world and we’ll be looking at the effect of river management for communities and for countries when rivers are dammed
- Why we all need to use less water
- About sacred or holy rivers
Children will spend the week of the 12th January learning all about our capital city. Children will look at past Kings and Queens and how they have shaped the way we live today. Wendy and Tina will be helping us create some fantastic Art work which will be displayed in the main entrance.