Co-Opted Governor Wanted
What are we looking for?
Our school Governing Body is made up of Co-opted, Parents, Staff and Local Authority Governors. Our Governors may come to us through a variety of routes and with a range of different backgrounds, skills and experiences, but they are all volunteers who work together for the benefit of the School and are the link between the School and the community it serves. We are currently looking for a Co-opted Governor and would be delighted to hear from anyone who has:
• an interest in the performance of the school.
• a desire to contribute to and represent the community.
• an open and enquiring mind
• the ability to look at issues objectively
• the confidence to ask questions and join in debate.
• a willingness to listen and make informed judgements
• the ability to work well with others
• time to spare
If you match the above description, you may be the very person to become a Governor at Stockbridge Village Primary School. Everyone has something to offer and we want someone from as many backgrounds and with as wide a range of interests as possible.
What can we offer?
• A chance to develop skills in strategic management
• The opportunity to work with our team of governors and staff in improving our School
• Training to develop an understanding of specific School management issues
• A sense of achievement in making a difference to our School
• The pleasure of helping students reach their potential
What is the Governing Body’s Role?
The Governing Body of our school plays a key role in:
• setting targets for raising standards of educational achievement.
• monitoring progress towards meeting these targets.
• finding the right balance between supporting and challenging the performance of the head
teacher and therefore the performance of his/her staff and the school as a whole.
• deciding policy and future development plans
• upholding good governance and working towards the success of the School
The Governing Body works together as a team:
• sometimes the whole governing body is involved - there are a minimum of three meetings of
the Full Governing Body each year
• sometimes Governors work in smaller working groups or monitoring pairs, looking at specific
areas of the school’s work in more detail.
• Some Governors have specific responsibilities – for example, Special Educational Needs,
Health & Safety, Learning outside the classroom
• In addition to a full and detailed induction programme, all Governors have the opportunity to
undertake further training to build on existing skills or to help develop new ones
Being a governor can be enjoyable, stimulating and rewarding. Please don’t be put off by thinking that you have to have specialist expertise or knowledge. Enthusiasm and interest is much more important to start with and there is tried and tested training and support available to help you throughout the four years term of office. And remember, you will be joining a long established governing body and will be supported by fellow governors with many years of combined experience.
If you are interested and would like an application form please contact Stockbridge@knowsley.gov.uk or you can download from the school website https://www.stockbridgevillageprimary.co.uk/governor-vacancies/
Please note application to be returned no later than 26th March 2020